Home :: Home
Are you interested in owning your own home?
CHIP's self-help program helps low-income households become homeowners! Here is what we offer:
- Affordable financing packages
- Excellent construction supervision
- Quality, energy-efficient homes
More than just building houses, self-help housing stimulates local economies, establishes credit, and builds new skills, self-confidence, and community. CHIP’s Self-Help Program has assisted more than 1,700 households in Butte, Tehama, Shasta, Sutter, Glenn, Lassen, Yuba and Colusa counties with home ownership. Using the mutual self-help method of construction, households partner together to build their homes with the technical assistance provided by CHIP construction supervisors. Each household’s labor becomes their down payment, commonly referred to as “sweat equity”. Groups of 6-10 participants are formed to construct the homes over an 8-10 month period. With the help of family and friends, each participant must contribute a minimum of 30 hours per week until completion of all the homes in the group. No construction experience is necessary.
- Household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income
- Must demonstrate repayment ability
- Acceptable (does not have to be perfect) credit
- First-time homebuyer or have not owned a home in past three years
- Plan to live in the home as a primary residence
Participants also must possess a willingness to attend group meetings and to work cooperatively with other participants towards the common goal of homeownership and community.
Self-help construction builds neighborhoods and community. Let us help you become a homeowner today! We are now accepting applications for developments in Biggs and Marysville. Please contact us to place your name on our interest list.