GET TO KNOW US
CHIP is an affordable housing nonprofit that is putting a dent in California’s affordable housing crisis. We’re a diverse team working hard to create housing opportunities for our 7-county service area (Butte, Tehama, Shasta, Glenn, Colusa, Sutter, and Yuba). Our homes and rental properties serve farm labor, seniors, rural disadvantaged residents, and others who lack financial resources or knowledge to improve or provide adequately for their housing.
GET TO KNOW THIS ROLE
The Self-Help Construction Advisor is primarily responsible for effectively training and supervising our Self-Help builders to construct high-quality, sustainable, safe, affordable homes. CHIP groups together homeowners who, with your help, will spend 30 hours a week (primarily weekends) building their home. You’ll lead, train, and empower these future homeowners to learn construction skills and assist in building quality homes and communities. You’re one part Construction Specialist and one part Construction Coach.
This is a full-time, non-exempt role. We encourage both experienced and less experienced individuals to apply. Pay is dependent upon experience. Applicants with less construction experience should expect $18-$20 per hour.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Assure maximum efficiency and safety of the self-Help builders and materials.
- Oversee tool usage, inventory, and safe work conditions.
- Supervise work of self-Help builders and report problems or deficiencies to site foreman.
- Organize work of self-Help builders, encourage cooperation and efficiency.
- Perform construction work to ensure our self-Help builders have sufficient work ahead of them.
PLEASE APPLY IF YOU HAVE
- Professional building skills with journeyman or equivalent carpentry skills.
- Availability to work weekends.
- Strong people skills. You don’t mind getting lots of questions, checking in with people, giving guidance to help people get the job done, and solving issues among people when they arise.
- Reliable transportation. CHIP builds within a seven-county service area (Butte, Tehama, Shasta, Glenn, Colusa, Sutter, Yuba counties), and you may be assigned to any one of the current sites. Travel reimbursement is available per CHIP’s travel policy.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO CONSIDER BEFORE APPLYING
- You have a current valid California Driver’s license and are insurable under the criteria established by CHIP’s general liability carrier.
- We want to know that you’ll be able to succeed at your job based on the physical activities and requirements. A conditional offer will require successful completion of a physical examination conducted by Enloe Occupational Health Center. Reasonable accommodations as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) will be made available as necessary.
CHIP takes pride in its competitive benefits package.
- 13 paid Holidays, plus Sick Leave, plus Vacation Leave, plus Personal Leave
- We pay 100% of employee-only health insurance premium
- We pay 100% of employee-only $25,000 life insurance premium
- CHIP offers a 403b Retirement Plan. Ask about our contribution policy.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online. You may also email CHIPgeneral@chiphousing.org or call our office to arrange a paper application (530) 891-6931.
Employment with CHIP is at will for the employee and the employer. CHIP is an equal opportunity employer.